Get my jumpsuit HERE
Dreading the thought of going sleeveless this summer?
While discovering and mastering your personal style can be fun and exciting, the truth is that no matter how much we love our bodies (because yup, we sure do), there may be something or other that we prefer not to accentuate or show off in public – which is fair enough! And though many of us are excited for summer adventures and the accompanying drinks and treats (yay, ice cream!) – we may buckle at the thought of what warmer weather means for our wardrobe choices, and more specifically, our arms.
Whether you have large arms, jiggly arms, or simply don’t like the appearance of your arms, going sleeveless this summer may be the last thing you want to do. At the same time, your personal preference to cover up might leave you worried that you’ll be overdressed, hot or average-looking during one of the most enjoyable times of the year.
Today, I want to share with you, three trends which prove that your summer style does not have to be underwhelming or limited simply because you choose not to reveal your arms!
Now, let me begin by saying that there are days when I swear I’d faint at the sight of yet another cold-shoulder top! But when you find something that works for your body type or personality type, you make it work, girl!
This summer, you can reveal as little or as much as you feel comfortable with by browsing your favorite stores for a statement top or dress which happens to feature the cold-shoulder vibe! I recommend a statement piece to truly make this trend your own.
By picking up an unusual or classic garment, you can also draw attention away from the cut-out (and subsequently your arms) and accentuate the detail, color, print or applique on the dress or top.
If you’re really nervous about showing your arms, you’d pick out this trend for functionality, as it will give you a little air and test out the option of revealing some skin without crossing any of your personal boundaries. Bonus points if you have amazing shoulders and want something tongue-and-cheek for nights out.
Here are some of my favorite cold shoulder looks!
Can you tell by my IG feed that I love this look? A duster or kaftan will give you full coverage (no skin needed) while providing several opportunities for simple yet maximum slayage. I particularly enjoy them because:
- If you don’t enjoy wearing color, this is an easy way to incorporate a few light or bright garments into your wardrobe without forcing it. When you’re all colored out, you can take off your duster, and enjoy your outfit as is.
- If you love black, like me, sheer dusters or kaftans are the perfect way to be a bit extra this summer! Who said you can’t wear dark or moody colors in the warmer months? Again, if it’s too hot to handle, take it off!
- Dusters are a trusted transitional item. I know that most of us experience hot, hot summers, and freezing winters, but a kaftan will easily carry you through on those cold summer nights!
- Dusters or kaftans usually come in amazing prints! Have fun with it!
- Options come in mid-length and floor-length, choose your own adventure.
If you’re almost ready to bear it all, but not quite, try a duster. Did I mention that they float in the breeze? Remember to shop your size according to your preferred fit.
Here are some of my favs!
The off-the-shoulder trend is timeless and elegant. Whether you opt for the hint of a boatneck sweater, the attitude of a slouchy tee, or give a full frontal with a gorgeous blouse, the off-the-shoulder trend has got your back! Here’s why:
- Whether you have broad, narrow or average shoulders, an off-the-shoulder garment can create the illusion of a softer, more feminine neckline.
- Change up this style by looking out for sweetheart, scoop and square necklines.
- An off-the-shoulder dress is perfect for a summer romance, and you can easily plan a rendezvous for the night or day without having to look over your shoulder.
- Try a crisp white shirt to stay cool during afternoon events.
Here are some of my fav off-the-shoulder looks!
In closing, remember that you look as good as you feel. Make sure you are 100% comfortable and know that it is possible to be stylish without going sleeveless this summer. Invest in quality, light-weight fabrics and you gon’ be alright!